Director, Ops Engineering
Wave is the fastest-growing financial tool on the planet for small businesses. We’ve got awesome momentum, great venture financing in our corner, five solid products on the market and over two million users around the world. We’re on a roll, and we’re looking for a Director, Ops Engineering to help us explore and uncover the path to Wave’s next successes.
The Wave Operations Engineering team supports the success of our ecosystem by building and maintaining the tools and systems that host our applications. We work tightly with all delivery teams to share our knowledge of how web applications run, from how load-balancers work to the impact of pre-warming application servers.
We take pride in delivering application performance, operational flexibility, availability, and increased quality of life. We average 14+ production deploys a day on our platforms, and we think we can do better. We talk mean-time-to-recovery over mean-time-between-failures; this focuses us on our goal of making our systems as resilient as possible.
Working well with others is a must, so is having ideas and opinions you can advocate for. We’re a group of people who like to build stable systems using understandable technologies, and we can’t wait for you to join us.
The Day to Day:
- Lead the efforts to build and maintain Wave’s hosting and data infrastructure, following infrastructure-as-code principles
- Develop and share expertise in our products and platforms, and use that knowledge to increase performance, scale, availability, and observability
- Develop tooling to support continuous delivery, rapid deployment, and developer empowerment
- Pick up coding, code review and system administration tasks as needed.
- Manage an on-call rotation, including off-hours and holidays
- Manage budgets and vendor relationships
- Incorporate a security mindset from the ground up in all our operations engineering activities
- Responsibility for the right calls when there's no consensus and no right answer
- Anticipate the needs of delivery teams so that our infrastructure is never a barrier to delivering a great SaaS to our customers.
- Show and live our team values of cooperation, continuous improvement, automation, cross-functional thinking, and empathy
The Bare Necessities:
- Experience leading teams that exemplify modern DevOps culture and continuous delivery thinking
- Ability to coolly lead the team through to resolution during production incidents
- Comfort working on the command line and using common Linux tools
- Experience with Linux system administration and configuration
- Knowledge of fundamental operating systems and networking concepts – HTTP, TCP, DNS, NTP, etc.
- Experience working in at least one programming language
- Interesting experience, or a relevant academic degree
- Experience with operations monitoring and alert configuration
- Experience leading teams of senior engineers
Nice to Have:
- Experience tuning mission-critical MySQL and Postgres databases
- Experience working in a standards-compliant environment (PCI, SOC 2, etc.)
- Experience with Docker and Docker orchestration
- Experience with AWS tools and services
Our main programming languages are Python and Ruby; if you’re not familiar with them, we’ll help you learn. We run some systems on AWS, and others on a managed hosting provider. We use Ansible for configuration management, CloudFormation/Terraform/boto to interact with AWS, and Jenkins for automation.
What Makes Working Here Awesome:
- One of Canada’s most extraordinary Fintech companies, Wave recently was named to the Deloitte Fast 50 list, with 1,640% revenue growth.
- Recognized as one of Canada's Top Ten Most Admired Corporate Cultures in 2016.
- A collaborative and dynamic team of individuals committed to solving hard problems.
- Competitive compensation including stock options, health & fitness coverage, and a training allowance.
- An awesome office with a cozy common space, Ping Pong, tons of snacks and all the Club Soda.
- A fantastic location in the vibrant Leslieville neighbourhood, where there’s no shortage of good food, drinks, arts and entertainment (check out our walk and transit score!)
- An open, entrepreneurial culture and a shared desire to change the lives of our customers.
RECRUITERS PLEASE NOTE:
We are not accepting applications via recruiters at this time.
Launched in November 2010, Wave provides integrated online applications that help small business owners around the world run their businesses with accounting, invoicing, payments and payroll products. The company has secured more than US$53.8 million in funding, and is signing up tens of thousands of small business customers each month. Wave currently tracks more than $175 billion in small business income and spending. Wave is based in Toronto, Canada.