Posted May 05
Venture Capital Analyst
Toronto Full Time
As a integral member of the ScaleUP Ventures team the role of Analyst is involved in all aspects of the investment and portfolio management process.
- He/she will assist the team to build and manage a growing portfolio of investments.
- Collaborate in the evaluation and assessment of new and follow-on investments and participate in deal execution.
- Represent ScaleUP Ventures at trade shows, investment conferences and other industry events to build a relevant network of contacts and identify new investment opportunities.
- Build competitive intelligence for existing investments, and provide forward-looking sectoral analysis.
- Support portfolio companies by monitoring investment portfolios, providing financial, forecasting and statistical analyses, and identifying potential opportunities and issues.
- Assist in due diligence and prepare internal investment documents as required
- Act as a liaison with the Fund’s back-office to perform semi-annual valuations.
- Assist in managing the investment opportunity pipeline and internal reporting.
- Work with our Leadership Council and Limited Partners to support our existing or potenital portfolio Companies
- Assist in LP management processes and reporting.
- Two to four years of work experience in venture capital, investment banking, private equity, management consulting or technology companies (i.e. product management or finance)
- An undergraduate degree in business, engineering or computer science.
- The ideal candidate will also possess strong networking skills and relationships in the Canadian start-up community as well as demonstrated knowledge of venture capital and startup company analysis.
- Strong people skills and ability to network effectively.
- Intellectual curiosity, excellent analytical skills, ability to assess the merits of new technologies, size and adoption rates of markets, and competitive forces faced when introducing new products.
- Knowledge of the technology industry.
- Ability to evaluate and value technology-oriented, early-stage businesses and develop independent conclusions and investment theses.
- Ability to work under pressure, manage time effectively, deal with abstract concepts and multi-task.
- Ability to prepare financial forecasts and pro-forma financial statements.
- Good oral and written communication skills and demonstrated ability to produce and deliver clear and concise oral and written presentations.
- Ability to work independently, remotely and within a small team environment.
- Self-motivated and passionate about software, entrepreneurship and investing.