Description of Business
Textbooks for Change is a social enterprise and top rated B-Corporation that believes education should be a right, not a privilege. We empower students to reach their full potential by redistributing educational material both locally and abroad. We do this by:
- Donating thousands of post-secondary textbooks to East African universities annually
- Selling affordable used textbooks to North American students and using proceeds to help fund student-led impact initiatives
- Diverting thousands of textbooks from landfills by recycling them efficiently
We have seen incredible growth across Canada the last three years, and now have our sights set on expanding across North America. As we continue to scale in the next few years, we will also look to leverage our current model and grow into the digital education space in East Africa.
We need you to think 10X. We have tried several tactics for getting partnerships and expanding at new schools - many very successful and some quite unsuccessful as well. We need someone to analyze what works (and what doesn’t), brainstorm and try new ideas, merge everything we know into a coherent strategy and execute.
We need you to:
- Drive growth by creating partnerships with dozens of North American post-secondary institutions and student organizations to host dropboxes, run drives and collect textbooks.
- Experiment, measure, analyze and optimize - turning raw ideas into repeatable and highly scalable solutions.
- Work with our Digital Marketing Coordinator to generate inbound leads and turn them into effective long standing partnerships leading to YoY growth.
- Work closely with our Logistics & Fulfilment team to ensure we are expanding at a sustainable pace.
- Work closely with our Impact Director to effectively translate our story into partner communication and growth strategies.
- Longer term, help us launch and scale our digital initiatives.
- A post-secondary degree
- 5+ years of business development / growth hacking experience
- A proven track record with some great stories to tell
- The ability to turn cold calls/emails into long standing partnerships
- In-depth knowledge of the US and/or international markets, ideally with exposure to the post-secondary ecosystem
- The ability to “crunch the numbers” and create informed decisions
- Experience working in fast-paced, entrepreneurial environments
- A strong desire to build from the ground up, with the ability to eventually lead a growing team
- Experience with Hubspot or similar CRM software
- Worked with top-performing teams (big and small) and accomplished incredible results
- Knowledge of social enterprise, and an understanding of what it means to be sustainable
- A desire to be on the leadership team after 1-2 years of hustle
- Passionate for social change: Making a dent in the universe is something that fires you up. T4C is social at our core, and we need you to be as well.
- A leader: You have experience leading a team through stressful situations, achieving amazing results in the end.
- Entrepreneurial and hands-on: You know what it means to work hard, and you will get the job done no matter what comes in the way. Not just a strategist, you like to get your hands dirty and implement your ideas.
- Fun and ridiculous: You are easy to get along with and have a positive attitude.
- Numbers driven and analytical: You have great instincts but like to back them up with hard facts.
- Highly creative: You’re never short of new ideas and are comfortable outside the box.
- Curious to the extreme: Your favourite sentences start with “What would happen if…”
- A fast learner: You are hungry to take on new projects to expand your knowledge; You execute, make a mistake, learn, and iterate to always be improving.
- Focused and flexible: You live by the saying: “If it’s not a HELL YES, it’s a no!” Sometimes you’ll work from the office, sometimes from home, and sometimes on the fly; no matter where it is, the job gets done.
- A great communicator: You know how to keep everyone in the loop and get your message across clearly and concisely.
- Organized and efficient: The devil is in the details, and you love the details. You are able to seamlessly manage multiple projects at once.
- Adaptable: Your role may change as we grow, but you are okay to take on new challenges. No task is beneath or above you.
- Driven by results: Getting a verbal approval is one thing, translating this “yes” into a consistent inflow of high quality textbooks is another.
- Team Orientated: You don’t think what’s in it for me, you think what’s in it for the team.
- Balanced: You know how to manage your time effectively with passions outside of work.
What This Job is Not:
- Easy: This job will be the most challenging role you’ve ever had. Working at a startup is hard. Building a startup while making incredible impact is harder. This job will test you in many ways, and in the end you will have one damn good story to tell.
- Consistent: We expect you to find solutions, learn from mistakes, implement processes, and move on to the next project.
- Structured: Your day-to-day will change constantly adapting to the company’s needs.
Why Join Textbooks for Change?
- We have a high caliber team that's experienced, passionate, and hardworking.
- We have a fun, supportive, team-based environment.
- We make incredible social impact, and have the metrics to prove it!
- After three months of full-time employment you will be eligible for our comprehensive benefits package.
Textbooks for Change is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals. Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process.