Manulife/John Hancock is an innovative global financial services company on the move. Launching recently into the top 30 asset management firms in the world and offering our leading private asset management capabilities to outside investors, the Investment Division looks to continue this momentum as we adapt to changing client needs. In order to accelerate our capacity for change and explore new ideas, we have launched LOFT, the Lab of Forward Thinking, an organization focused on innovation to deliver new, valuable services and products to our customers and internal business stakeholders.
We are seeking startup founders, entrepreneurial software engineers and product designers, product managers, and technologists who are obsessed with the end goal, think big, and have explosive drive and contagious energy to see their visions through to fruition.
You will play a key role in:
- Identifying opportunities that add business value, then leading them through the full lifecycle of launching and scaling a new business or initiative
- Incubating initiatives focused on new technologies and emerging customer needs to identify product and business model opportunities
- Rapid prototyping and development to validate initiatives in the marketplace
- Feature design process from concept through wire framing
- Demonstrating the principles and value of innovation through participation in programs targeted at internal staff and external participants
We're looking to build a team of Innovation Fellows with diverse perspectives. Exposure to some or all of the following experiences is desired:
Exposure to and mastery of the MEAN stack: Mongo, Express.js, Angular and Node.JS
Additional experience with the following tools and languages is also attractive to us: Spark, MySQL, Bootstrap,
Understanding customer needs and opportunities in order to prototype and deliver solutions in an Agile manner
Understanding of Object Oriented software design
Understanding of Test Driven Development
Building technology solutions tightly coupled with business value
Designing solutions leveraging complex datasets and guided by user experience
You will bring and continuously build upon the following skills:
- Entrepreneurial spirit comfortable working within a startup environment that is rapidly changing
- High level of curiosity and comfort with ambiguity
- Capacity for constant learning from both success and failure, remaining open to change and continuous improvement
- Understanding of current web standards and upcoming technologies
- Strong verbal and written communication with the ability to effectively articulate and communicate complex technical concepts to company stakeholders in an easy to understand manner
- Exposure to the local startup landscape
- BS in Computer Science
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group providing forward-thinking solutions to help people with their big financial decisions. We operate as John Hancock in the United States, and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance and wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2015, we had approximately 34,000 employees, 63,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving 20 million customers. At the end of September 2016, we had $966 billion (US$736 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made more than $24.4 billion in benefits, interest and other payments to our customers.
Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as ‘MFC’ on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under ‘945’ in Hong Kong. Follow Manulife on Twitter @ManulifeNews or visit manulife.com or johnhancock.com.
Manulife is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request an accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.