Full Stack Developer
Checkout 51 is looking for a Full Stack Developer to join our Development team for a Permanent position in Downtown Toronto, ON.
In this role you’ll be working with a small team of high performing individuals, which includes one of the company’s founders. We have a proven track record of building products that consumers love and continue to use years after their first install. Through our recent acquisition, we’ll continue to operate independently and grow our member base.
Late riser? No problem! Some of us are as well. We have a daily standup at 10:30AM, and we stay until we’re done. Sometimes that means we’re here late, sometimes it means we leave early. Performance is measured by outcomes alone. We’re busy but the good kind of busy; we are lead by great Product Managers who know their stuff and we’re clear about the goal of each iteration. We’re honest with ourselves. Our test automation on the backend is actually pretty good, we feel comfortable pushing deploys if the tests pass. In 2017, we want to make them run faster and increase code coverage even further.We have some pretty cool things in the works for our new office space. There’s no dress code - we wear whatever we want. We work hard but like to joke around. Work for us is like solving challenging problems with your friends.With millions of members using our iOS and Android apps we’re growing our team so we can find even better ways to help them save money on their groceries.
You'll be responsible for:
- Adding new features to our API endpoints that feed the web, iOS and android apps
- Adding new features to our web app and backend administration interface
- Working with product managers and designers to enhance and build on our entire platform
- Writing SQL queries that dig through huge data sets to provide insights to our data analytics team
- Writing code that will scale with our growing user base and data stores
- Writing tests and performing code reviews to ensure that we’re shipping reliable, readable, and reusable code on a daily basis
What we're looking for:
- Comfortable working with PHP 5.6 (we just moved to PHP 7) or another object oriented language
- Have a solid history working with MySQL, Postgre and other RDBMS
- TDD and source control (Git) are second nature
- Have an excellent understanding of Object-oriented Design
- Are familiar with how to design and integrate with APIs
- You think at scale and can talk about large-scale applications you’ve worked on
- Comfortable working with frontend technology such as HTML, CSS, JS and jQuery
- Know your way around the command line (we use Macs and Ubuntu servers)
- You want to take ownership of what you work on. You’re ready to explain it to your colleagues and support it in production
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
Bonus points if you:
- Are strong with Java
- Have worked on prediction/relevancy systems
- Have worked with Vagrant and/or Chef
- Love automating, optimizing and making things faster
- Are familiar with AWS tools and services including EC2, RDS, Redshift, S3 and auto-scaling
- Have a sense of humour!
- Feel like you’re a HTML / CSS / JS pro
- Have a serious background in Data