Payroll Compliance Specialist
The Big Picture:
Wave is the fastest-growing financial tool on the planet for small businesses. We’ve got awesome momentum, great venture financing in our corner, five solid products on the market and over two million users around the world. We’re on a roll, and we’re looking for a Payroll Compliance Specialist to help us explore and uncover the path to Wave’s next successes.
Reporting to the Payroll Compliance Manager, you will:
- Review and analyze wage calculations, tax deductions, and reports to ensure compliance with federal and local laws in both Canada and the United States.
- Take initiative to research compliance laws, and advise technical team members (developers and product managers) about appropriate changes to software.
- Partner with Customer Success Team as a Subject Matter Expert, providing guidance and expertise while answering questions relating to US payroll customers.
- Live and breathe legal and compliance issues related to payroll, and provide guidance on appropriate deductions in Canada and USA.
- Stay on top of any updates to payroll compliance laws in both Canada and the United States.
- Make use of your analytical skills by uncovering opportunities for improvements in the payroll compliance process and within our financial software product.
- Based on your payroll expertise, analyze, propose, and assist in enhancing our product to be the best it can be!
The Bare Necessities:
- Super comfortable navigating payroll software (ADP Workforce Now or Ceridian for example). We’re a software company, and that’s kinda what we do! It's also important that you've worked with a few different payroll softwares so that you're able to identify gaps between them and what works as well as what doesn't so you can advise comfortably about improvements to be made.
- You should have processed payroll across multiple places in North America - this is so you have a holistic perspective of what Payroll Compliance actually means. Not just someone who has processed payroll before - but who understands the nuances between different provinces, and how to make sure our customers stay compliant through our software. That's our responsibility to them.
- You have exceptional communication skills. Our teams are very collaborative and work closely together, so we need someone who is comfortable partnering with technical and non-technical team members and customers.
- You noticed the spelling mistake in this posting because the smaller details really stand out to you (just kidding; there isn’t one, but we do really need someone detail oriented).
- You have the ability to take initiative and can function with a certain level of autonomy in your work while still being able to get your work done on a deadline without compromising quality.
Totally not necessary but great to have:
- American Payroll Association Training (CPP certification preferred).
- Knowledge of US federal, state, and local payroll tax regulations because of your experience processing payroll across multiple jurisdictions.
What Makes Working Here Awesome:
- One of Canada’s most extraordinary Fintech companies, Wave recently was named to the Deloitte Fast 50 list, with 1,640% revenue growth.
- Recognized as one of Canada’s Top Ten Most Admired Corporate Cultures in 2016.
- A collaborative and dynamic team of individuals committed to solving hard problems.
- Competitive compensation including stock options, health & fitness coverage, and a training allowance.
- An awesome office with a cozy common space, Ping Pong, tons of snacks and all the Club Soda
- A fantastic location in the vibrant Leslieville neighbourhood, where there’s no shortage of good food, drinks, arts and entertainment (check out our walk and transit score!)
- An open, entrepreneurial culture and a shared desire to change the lives of our customers
RECRUITERS PLEASE NOTE:
We are not accepting applications via recruiters at this time.
Launched in November 2010, Wave provides integrated online applications that help small business owners around the world run their businesses with accounting, invoicing, payments and payroll products. The company has secured more than US$53.8 million in funding, and is signing up tens of thousands of small business customers each month. Wave currently tracks more than $175 billion in small business income and spending. Wave is based in Toronto, Canada.